Today i found an interesting article for linux like people… talking about TUX (the linux mascot). How many of you knows that name came from (T)orvalds (U)ni(X) ? Hehe.
This article will make a little light about the beginning and evolution of linux mascot/logo and also… the Linus Torvalds e-mail related to that contest of choosing linux logo.
here’s some quotes from that article:

Penguin as logo/mascot for Linux was discussed first in early 1996 by several people in the linux-kernel mailing list. The idea of such mascot came from Alan Cox first. Among many other suggestions made by different people there were parodies of other operating system logos, sharks or even eagles. You can find them here. Some of them:

Read full article HERE

Here is this Linus’ email:

Re: Linux Logo prototype
Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Thu, 9 May 1996 17:48:56 +0300 (EET DST)

Somebody had a logo competition announcement, maybe people can send their ideas to a web-site..

Anyway, this one looks like the poor penguin is not really strong enough to hold up the world, and it’s going to get squashed. Not a good, positive logo, in that respect..

Now, when you think about penguins, first take a deep calming breath, and then think “cuddly”. Take another breath, and think “cute”. Go back to “cuddly” for a while (and go on breathing), then think “contented”.

With me so far? Good..

The first person called the penguin “Tux” was James Hughes who said that it stood for “(T)orvalds (U)ni(X)”. Tux was designed for a Linux logo contest. Confusingly, there were actually three separate contests and Tux didn’t win any of them. This is why Tux is formally known as the Linux mascot and not the logo. Tux was created by Larry Ewing using the first publicly released version (0.54) of GIMP. It was released by him under the following condition:

Permission to use and/or modify this image is granted provided you acknowledge me lewing@isc.tamu.edu and The GIMP if someone asks.

Gregarious FeedFlareShare This
6 Responses to “TUX , the linux Mascot & Logo”
  1. Gimp Video Tutorials says:

Thanks for this valuable post. I love gimp.

2. obloane says:

After I originally commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me
    when new comments are added- checkbox and
    from now on every time a comment is added I get four emails with
    the same comment. Perhaps there is an easy method you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks a lot!

3. dieta daneza says:

Hey would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using? I’m looking to start my
    own blog in the near future but I’m having a tough time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
    P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

4. forex registration says:

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account
    it. Look advanced to more added agreeable
    from you! However, how could we communicate?

5. Grant says:

This is often a tremendous website, thanks a lot in this.
    I have so that you can bing to get several several hours to look for this kind of position.

My spouse and i hate as soon as every time My spouse and i yahoo with regard to information to be able to move through I really normally
    find unnecessary content articles along with a good deal junk.

You actually simply acquire treatment with your whole junk mail and maintain your internet site very
    clear in addition to premium quality. Do you really have any procedures for by myself internet
    site?

6. Rogelio says:

When i precious a information site coupled with insights.
    You are usually extraordinary.
    I am grateful pertaining to offer this amazing and that i also think about examined far more
    from you finding out down the road.
    Good work keeping your website clear and as a result top of the line with out any any sort of spammy posts.

Everything that have hints needed for the web presence to remain this
    task rid of spammy?
    For just about any tricks how you can creative hobby by using
    beneficial high-quality really like your site?
    I apologize for my language :) the not really this naturelle verbiage, anticipation reach recognise

E-mail It